Tuesday 3 July 2012

Heres a little story for you. The Teapot: Part 1

   I gawped, sweating and bare faced at the obscure object. The great sweltering palm of summer bore down on the area like a great fucking duvet of boiling asphyxiation, and I was in the middle of it.
Yellow is a hateful colour.
   A single tree loomed like a tiny sharp prick, prodding against the searing hot celestial sphere. I could imagine some gun-slinging cowboy galloping in the distance in a great Western saga. Of course, this would be viewed from the cool comforts of a living room sofa. I wonder how I would look right now to those comfortable bastards, finger on the remote like a trigger, interest in me only to see whether I’ll die of exhaustion or a bullet, and pull the trigger if neither occurs. The former seems more likely. From what I could tell, there was no source of shade or relief in my immediate surroundings, except for a largish boulder several feet away.  For me, these details were blurred in a hazy abstract that could rival Kandinsky.
   Removing a back-handful of sweat from my brow I again stared at the object upon which I had been fixating moments ago. What was before obscured by a veil of sweat and disbelief, I could confirm my earlier assumption that I was indeed staring at a china teapot. The likelihood of stumbling upon an object this well preserved and in a location so far removed from any form of life led me to believe it was subject to my disillusioned and tormented mind. I felt a bead of sweat run from my hair down my back.
   How much water can someone lose before delirium takes over?
   My mind swam with feverish contempt. I hated everyone on the planet on the basis that they were not here, suffering with me. I dropped to me knees, with all the grace a fat man has when dive-bombing a swimming pool, and edged close to the teapot. My God how it was vivid. For a simple projection of my mind it was beautifully detailed. Not that I like that sort of thing, I was just aware of the gold leave trimmings that betrayed the luxury of the object, and the detailed images of some kind of pink flower. I took one dirtied finger and pressed it against the porcelain surface. An intense heat greeted it with a kiss of agony that startled me and my senses. I noticed then that steam was emanating from the stout in ethereal wisps that soon dissipated.
    The teapot was real.

No comments:

Post a Comment